12.24.2015

I Did Not Go On A Mad Christmas Shopping Spree, And This Is What Happened

photo from https://stocksnap.io/

So far, I haven't bought a single gift for anyone. Not my parents, not my friends, not my coworkers (though I'll probably buy something for my boyfriend, but it's out of necessity).


I wasn't trapped in the crazy shopping frenzy. I didn't feel stressed out finding the perfect gift for a particular person. I went to the mall on the 24th to accompany my brother to buy some cake and kitchen essentials. What I saw were the frantic people rushing to buy last-minute Christmas gifts, and absurdly long lines at the cashier.

Because of that, there are 3 things happened:

1. I more clearly saw Christmas for what it truly is. It's a celebration of Christ coming to this world.
We're so deluded by the pressure of buying gifts, and enjoying parties left and right that we forget who we should really be celebrating it for. Even if you push out all the merriment of the season, all that remains is the everlasting truth: Christ came to this world to be our savior.

2. I feel more peaceful
There's no feeling of pressure of trying to please people with material gifts. I'm seeing how I value the people around me is not measured by the gifts I give him or her, but by the respect and love that I show towards the person

3. I decided to give the gift of time, presence, and experience
I'd rather spend Noche Buena and Christmas Day by helping prepare a great meal for my family. No way I'm spending the bulk of my time waiting in queues when I could have used that time to chat and laugh with my family. I've had enough of giving gifts that go ignored throughout the year. Just having my family together is the best Christmas gift I can ever receive.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete