7.26.2014

Review: Manang's Chicken

Me and my boyfriend were strolling around the mall looking for somewhere to eat. It really takes us a long time to choose a joint because we always consider first if we can afford their menu. We passed by Manang's Chicken (Gaisano Mall- 4th floor) twice already so we decided to give it a try. We were also enticed to enter their joint as their booths and chairs looked comfy and there were not many people who dined there.

A little background on Manang's Chicken:
Ang Bagong Fried Chicken ng Pinoy owned and operated by Giabella Foods Corporation, a 100% Filipino owned company. 

That sweet, salty, crispy, juicy chicken you’re sinking your teeth into has been a staple at our family dining table for the past 20 years. Our beloved cook, affectionately called “Manang,” whipped it up for all of our family occasions and nobody ever got enough of it. Fast forward to 2011 and Manang’s soy garlic chicken evolved from the comfort food of our dining table, to the local weekend market, and finally to a growing chain of fast food restaurants! Manang unwittingly redefined fried chicken for the Pinoy market.
(from Manang's Chicken website- http://www.manangschicken.com/about-manangs-chicken/)


(photos from http://www.manangschicken.com)

I had the cheesy spaghetti (P69. 00) while my boyfriend got the crispy chicken sandwich with chips (P75.00)-I don't quite remember, but it's in that price range.

Their spaghetti meal was nothing special, really. I think that it lacks the rich sweet flavor that the Filipino spaghetti taste has that we're all accustomed to. When I mixed the sauce and the pasta, the color was bland. Jollibee's spaghetti had more rich sauce compared to this. For 69pesos, I should have dragged my bum to Jollibee instead.

I took a bite from my boyfriend's chicken sandwich. I was surprised to find some sort of hash browns  
(or was it mashed potatoes?) beneath the chicken fillet- patty. Im not exactly sure if the hash browns was a win, it tasted kind of strange. It also had some sort of coleslaw, which for me is a plus considering that most chicken sandwich from other fastfood chains are only composed of the buns and the chicken fillet-patty. I'd still go for McDonald's or KFC's chicken fillet sandwich in the taste department.

The chips were a disappointment. I did not get if I was nibbling on potato or kamote chips. What even made it go down lower was that the staff did not even heat the chips. It was a pain eating it.

With all the bad say on the food, at least the customer service department was good.. Their staff was accommodating and polite. When I handed a 500 bill the staff kindly asked me to wait as they did not have enough for my change.

Overall:
Food: 3/5
Ambiance: 4/5 (like I said, the chairs and booths were comfy enough)
Customer service: 4/5

I hope they improve the taste and quality of their menu. It was a bit of a downer, really. They'll have to step up their game if they want to be at par with the big guys.





No comments:

Post a Comment