7.31.2014

El viaje: a day in Sibulan

It's amazing when you take the time to explore new places. You never know that such places exist. It's also a good idea to take a break from breathing the pollution of the city and taking in the fresh cool air of the country side. For me, I had this chance when the team went to Sibulan.

Sibulan is in Santa Cruz, just a bit farther from Toril. The team went there to hand over the donation of sports equipment to Mt. Apo Elementary School. I tagged along to cover the event and to experience work on field.

When we got there, they were celebrating the culmination of the Nutrition Month and also the Indigenous Peoples' Day. Most of the kids are Bagobo Tagabawa and I was indeed blessed to spend a day to see their culture.


As expected in the highland countryside, the vegetables and fruits are so healthy and fresh. You just can't find that sort in the city.


Each grade level presented a number for the Nutrition Month's culmination program. These girls did a puppet show while their teacher narrated the story. I did not understand the story though, but I think it was along the lines of eating healthy.


I just adore their cultural outfit. The authenticity and also the wearer is something to be proud of. The girl was shy when I asked her for a photo with me (I had to chase her around until I cornered her hehe)


Since they were celebrating the Nutrition Month, the kids and their parents whipped up some dishes which was part of their mini- contest. Free Food! Some of the ingredients and dishes were planted and cooked by the kids themselves.


Linotlot- A Bagobo delicacy made of young coconut and chicken cooked inside a bamboo pole. It has an interesting mix of salty- sweet and coconut-y taste.



Later on, we went for a hike. I've always wanted to experience what it feels like to be in the middle of a fog. Sure enough, it was really cool and I couldn't look past through the mist.

I never thought I would be able to experience what I experienced today. I always thought that I would be stuck in the city's concrete jungle. Being in the midst of nature will always do you good.

I also have found my new love for hiking. Now, next stop- camping in the great outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment