7.02.2015

My 1st fasting journey

Last Sunday, my church announced that they will have the mid- year fasting. For three days, you would have to dispose and put yourself in God's presence and listen to Him. You would also have to reduce your eating (you have to commit to a type of fast: drinking only liquids or water all day or having only one meal a day.

At this point in my life, I was earnestly asking God for a breakthrough in my life, especially in my career. I told myself this was the perfect time to listen and wait for God as He will unfold a plan in my life.


Two days before the fasting started, I stacked up on fruits and vegetables. Later that evening, I realized I cannot commit (or my body would allow me) to finish the fast. It would only be God's grace that will fuel me to go on with the fast.

I opted for the 1-meal-a-day-fast. I would eat only at lunch. I think I had lapses with the my choice of intake (chocolate drink, and I drank coffee once).

Even before I began my fast, God opened an opportunity for me (in my career). Still, I committed to finish the fast and prayed for God's plan and the opportunity.

Things I learned from fasting:
1. Spiritual muscles will be strengthened.  I learned more to depend on God. The urge of the stomach is the hardest to resist. So each time I had the temptation to eat, I thought of my commitment to God.
2. Fasting is a reminder to surrender everything to God.
3.When temptations abound, we are practiced to respond in the Spirit and not in the flesh.
4. Faith in God will be strengthened. I believed a breakthrough will happen in my life.

There are many characters in the Bible who fasted (David, Moses, Esther, Elijah and etc). Jesus Himself fasted for 40 day.

For me, I offer these 3 days of my life to connect with God in a more deeper level.



No comments:

Post a Comment