10.29.2015

What's your musical instrument?

Years ago I watched this video from TED about how playing a musical instrument benefits our brain.  So from that time on, I have been contemplating on what instrument I want to master.


I have always been drawn to classical/orchestra music and I know it has a greater effect on concentration. When I listen to an orchestra performance on youtube or instrumentals I feel so elated.

My favorite piece is by Joe Hisaishi- Summer. I could just feel the emotions of the many artists as they play their notes and instruments, the different rhythms, and Hisaishi's love poured in a masterpiece. Every time I listen to this song, I feel I'm transported to a beautiful countryside, bright skies, and taking in all the peace that nature gives.


One of my bucket list is to watch a live orchestra performance. A Philippine PhilHarmonic Orchestra, Joe Hisaishi or Final Fantasy concert would be heavenly.

My mom bought me a guitar but I just couldn't understand the strumming techniques. Perhaps I need a hands- on teacher to help me learn it.

I have three dream instruments I want to play:


Saxophone: Come on, the sexiness of the bamf will always make your head turn. The curves and the sound is so rich! I realized that I can't sing well, I let the saxophone do the singing. And since I love jazz, this is the way to go.

Here's an amazing performance from these two bad-ass girls rocking it with the sax! (Maroon 5- Sugar)


Cello: The cello has a deeper and richer tone than its tiny sister, violin. I feel the violin has a screetchier high pitch tone. But in a more practical sense, the violin is easier to play.

photo from www.colledgecellos.com
Brooklyn Duo piano and cello performance


Beautiful performance by Daniel Jang (Thinking Out Loud- Ed Sheeran)


Harp: aaahhh my ultimate dream instrument. How often do you get to see a person play the harp?
I remember my choir days in high school during the Asean Tourism Forum where we performed together with a harp. I remember how stunned I was to see such a beautiful instrument and the equally beautiful music it emitted. I was able to see a harp for sale here in Davao City at Better Components in Jacinto Street- with a price tag of a sparkly Php 100, 000. 00+. If the price isn't the problem, the next thing you need to figure out is where you can actually learn it from.

photo from www.rwcmd.ac.uk
A whimsical performance of Fireflies- Owl City


Right now Im torn between getting a saxophone or a cello/violin. What do you guys think?

So what instrument do you play? Or what's your dream instrument? I would love for you to share your answer on the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment